The Twigg and The Trunk

You may have heard this prayer uttered by a Christian. He said,


“Dear God,


So far today I’ve done all right. I haven’t gossiped, I haven’t lost my temper, I haven’t been greedy, grumpy, nasty, selfish or over-indulgent. I’m very thankful for that. But in a few minutes, God, I’m going to get out of bed, and from then on, I’m probably going to need a lot of help. Amen”


That is the way it is supposed to be. We could not function with out Him. We depend upon him for our strength to survive like a branch depends upon the trunk to survive. I don’t remember where I heard the following story, but it sure helps me to understand how important my need is for Jesus.


There once was a branch called Twiggy. Twiggy was an amazing branch; his leaves were a vibrant, living green. Joy rested in his heart especially on windy days when he would hum with his special tree voice. His friends Ms. Butterfly, and Robin often visited him. Other friends came to visit also like Mr. Eagle and the Possum family. When the friends were through with their visit, they always left feeling a bit refreshed, like they could go on for a while longer.


One day Twiggy started to think that it sure would be nice if he could wander away from the old trunk. After all who needed old trunk any way? It was twiggy that had all the color. Where were all of trunk’s leaves? When was the last time that Mr. Eagle landed on trunk and was refreshed? Sure, the possum family always came up old trunk, but it was so they could get to him, Twiggy!


So that afternoon, when the wind was blowing by, Twiggy let go of old trunk. Twiggy felt a new kind of freedom- it was called falling. He didn’t like it very much. Especially when he landed with a hard thump. He tried to reassure himself that it was better now that he had his freedom, but it seemed like the view from down here was very limited. Immediately he started to feel lonely, but then Twiggy thought his friends will soon come to visit. The Possums came and walked right past him and straight to the trunk. Robin hopped by but seemed distracted as he kept pecking at the ground. Mr. Eagle just circled above and kept his distance.


“At least I have my beautiful leaves,” Twiggy thought to himself. And so they were, but… After just a short time the leaves seemed to have lost their spunk, their body, and that special sheen. In fact they actually started to get droopy! It was just a few days later that a passing boy picked up Twiggy and said that Twiggy would make great kindling.


Attachment to our Trunk is critical. He gives us the strength to whistle during the windy times of life. Cut from the trunk and our strength withers.


“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. John 15:5&6


The best place for us Twiggys, is to remain attached to the Trunk.


If this has been helpful for you, please hit the Facebook button below. Help spread the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment