Broken Windows Chapter 2

If you are new to Broken Windows, thanks for reading. You may want to start here http://paulblais.blogspot.com/2011/11/introduction.html. I hope you have a good time with the book.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It all started by my dad becoming a preacher. I mean, he is such a big hero to everyone. You can’t even go to the stinking store with him for a gallon of milk. How long does it take to get a stupid gallon of milk? Three minutes? You go in, you pick your milk… whole or one percent. We all ways got one percent as if drinking a cup of whole milk would clog your arteries or some other stupid heart attack thing or something. Then you give the store your three bucks or whatever, and bang, you’re done. Stink! Three stupid minutes for anyone else, like an electrician or a rocket scientist.

But not my dad. Some lady would see “the pastor” and say, all full of nasally high tones and stuff, “Pastor Wayne. How lovely to see you.” And then all I’m thinking is how it isn’t lovely to see her. But I have to put on this fake smile and look like a good kid or some other stupid thing. And then she would go into some long story of some major crisis or something, spilling her guts all over the place about her husband and her having problems with their kid who was being rebellious and ditching school or how she is always constipated or some other stupid thing like that…  right there in the dairy section. In the stinking dairy section for crying in a bucket!

And it didn’t matter if it was after hours or not. I mean, he was supposed to be off work at five, right? Wrong. He didn’t have a time clock like some other joker who does his eight and punches some stupid time clock and is off work so he can mow the lawn or go to McDonalds, or pick up a gallon of milk for stink’s sake.

Five o clock is just another time of day. “Ministry happens when ministry is needed.” That’s what my dad always said. He was always saying some stupid thing like that. And it always seemed to happen when we were in the dairy section or something. To be honest, I hate ministry in the dairy section.

She couldn’t call the church at three or whenever. It’s much more convenient for her to do it all in the dairy section. I can just hear her telling her hen-pecked, beer-bellied husband, “I’m going to the store to pick up some hamburger, chips, and perhaps a little counseling.” I mean, it’s all right for her and all, but what about us? What about me, for crying out load! What if we had another plan like not talking to her or something like that for a change? We just had to stop and talk. Well at least Dad would.

Stink, I would walk away as soon she started talking about her hot flashes or something. I mean she would start to say some stupid thing about her stupid life, and then she would give me this stupid look like this is too much for a me to be hearing in the stupid dairy section, and then Dad would say something stupid like, “Can you give us just a minute, Son?” and then I’d have to go find something stupid to do in the stupid store, and what was there to do in a stupid grocery store, anyway? Go look at the tea section? Earl Grey or Lady Grey or English Breakfast. I can’t stand Earl Grey. Especially when all you could ever put in it at our house was one percent milk anyway.

Most of the time I would find the magazine rack or someplace. Then every couple of magazines I would step back to the end of the magazine isle and look at the dairy section to see if the counseling session was over or not. Typically I could get through about four or five magazines before he would come and find me. By then my plans were all over. The movie started already, or my friends had left. I mean, that’s what it was always like. I mean it made you afraid to go get milk or something with Dad.



~~~~~~~~~~

If you like this book, please add a link to your Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment