Money Is No Concern


What do people do when money truly is no concern. Toni Wong created an Indulgence line of items for those with cash to flush down the toilet. His creation? Gold pills. These pills, which sell for $425 for three capsules, are designed to change the look of your waste. Pop the pills, and poop the gold. The idea is that after you've done the deed you can look at your stuff and it should be glittering with flakes of gold. Personally, I thing that stinks. Want to know the crazy thing? The pills were so popular that they are sold out! If this is what no object results in, I would like to wash my hands from it.

But how about the rest of us schmucks? What would you do if money were of no concern? I have heard that query posited many different ways and times throughout my life- a life, mind you, that has been very concerned with the flow of cash. I believe most people are in the same boat as me- trying to get the next dollar to appease the current need. The question is kind of like asking people in their leaking canoes what they would do if going under were of no concern.

It seems to be a question of fantasy, make believe, and unattainable. It’s nice to ponder and dream, but I live in a real world, and I wake up to a real alarm clock, I wear socks with real holes in them, envelopes show up in the mail with real demands, and the pressure to earn is a real concern, for a real now, for real needs, and it really stinks. But it’s where we are.

But still I wonder- Is there more? Am I destined to plod along doing the drill to get my dollars? Must I be resigned to hating the sunrise because it’s time to toil? I wrestle with this topic. I am not thrilled with the daily job. There are times when my heart aches with a longing to do something better. Were it not for the pressure cooker of obligations, I think I would linger in bed for few extra minutes on most days.

I’ve read a book recently called 48 Day to the Work You Love and to be honest, it is inspiring. Dan Miller lets me know that I don’t have to live with the status quo. Things can be different. I can have a job that I love. I am setting new goals. I may be in for a change.

Here is one thing that I am going to do now. I am going to figure out how to live like money was of no concern. Yesterday when I was walking across a street with my wife our hands fell comfortably into each other. The warmth of her hands caressed my soul. It didn’t cost me a dime, but I grew enormously wealthy for that moment. Walking on a trail with my fuzzy dog by my side is decidedly peaceful and calming to my frazzled soul. When the dinner plates have been emptied and the fam is still seated around the table and we laugh at some goofy joke, my on-edge nerves back away from the cliff and I am being made whole. Saying thank you to a kindness of another enriches my relationships. Loving freely, forgiving a hurt, giving to another, complimenting lavishly are all things I can do when money is of no concern. It turns out that it is not such a fantasy after all.

If you liked this, then there is another post that I wrote a while back called Manna that you may like.


No comments:

Post a Comment