Toughened

I grew up with a big brother. Kirk. We were just two in the mix of six kids in our household. Three boys and three girls. I was the middle boy and fourth down from the top. Kirk was the second born. He was a pretty good big brother. All the neighborhood kids used to play football on the lawn of Crestview Elementary School across the street from our house in Vista, California. If one of the bigger kids was picking on me, Kirk would put an end to it. I was off limits to bullies when Kirk was around. But I was not off limits to Kirk.

Before we moved to the house across the street from Crestview School we lived on Spires Street. At the end of Spires Street along side of Melrose Drive was a gully that ran the length of the road. For most of the year the gully was dry and full of weeds. But part of the year the gully would flow with water. A favorite activity during this run of water for the neigborhood kids was to get rocks and mud and make a dam across the gully. The water would back up and we would get this little pond of gutter water going. Then we could float sticks in the pond and pretend that they were battleships and tankers and aircraft carriers. If we were extra enthusiastic, we'd "recruit" a few ants to be the crew members of the ships.

With sticks set adrift and each stick having a full compliment of crew members scurrying about their decks, the battle could begin! Each kid would gather their weapons and then chose a vessel to attack. A hand full of gravel and sand thrown side arm was like gun fire from an airplane and a rock became a bomb. The little kids, like me, were limited by our strength in the size of the bombs we could drop on the fleet, whereas the big boys could wield the bigger rocks and drop the A-Bombs that would destroy entire fleets.  Usually we took turns dropping the bombs. Splash! and a ship was destroyed and the ant crews were plunged into the sea. They tried to swim to shore, but we'd just drop more rocks and dash the hopes of those little ants. Eventually the pond surface was covered with the carnage of motionless ant bodies bobbing up and down up the ripples of the pond.

One particular day I was in the water setting things up. Kirk was standing on a wood plank we had laid across the gully for better bomb dropping. He was holding the biggest rock he could carry over his head. His wobbly little elbows were straining to keep control of his ultimate A-Bomb. He yelled at me to move, but I paid him no never mind and went about my business. He told me he'd drop that rock on my head if I didn't move. Again, I kept to my task. I just knew he was bluffing. I mean, who would drop a rock on someone else's head? Kirk would, and he did.

The rock landed on my head and I went straight to the bottom of the pond with the rock settling on the top of my head. Kenny Gunney and Robert Hall jumped into the water and pulled me out from under the rock. I came up from the water coughing and bleeding and crying. Meanwhile Kirk was defending his actions from atop the plank, "I told him to move! I told him I was going to drop the rock on him!"

So I was fair game for Kirk's bullying, which I am sure is true for the world over when it comes to big brothers. What I didn't know was that all that picking on was prepping me for bigger battles. 

As Kirk got older his interests in playing football across the street on the lawn of Crestview School began to wain. He found other things that caught his interests so football was now played on my own. The Blais brother team had split up, which in turn resulted in me being fair game to the bigger guys that wanted to throw their weight around the field.

Charlie Mineir was a year older than me and bigger by a good twenty pounds. For some reason he had got a burr under his saddle and was gunning for me. He was on the opposite team and at each line up he made sure he was lined up with me. With each hike of the ball Charlie threw his body at me and tried to run me over. I was intimidated and tried as best I could to avoid the rough collisions. Eventually I just got mad and mouthed off at Charlie. Charlie took that as a challenge and came at me with knuckles flying.

One thing that ought to be explained about Charlie is that he was a first born. Timothy was his younger brother. Timothy was a scrapper. A year younger than me and fearless. Nobody scared him. Why should they? He had Charlie prepping him for the worst by being the worst. Charlie took his physical size as being all that was needed to win the fight. What he didn't take into account was that I had been trained by Kirk.

So onto the ground Charlie and I landed. We rolled back and forth on the grass while all the other kids gathered around and yelled encouragement to hit and kick. Not a lot of punches were actually thrown, but the ones that were came mostly from me. When the battle was finally over, Charlie was bleeding from both nostrils and his eye was swelling up. 

I've thought about that fight for many years. Partly to glory in my fighting skills, but mostly wondering why I could win when the odds were against me and I was out gunned. I have come to the conclusion that the difference was the training of a big brother. Having big brother problems toughened me up while Charlie was just the big brother of another. Life becomes less scary when you know the challenges can't be all that much worse than what Kirk trained me for.

So here's one for the big brothers. Cheers to you and thanks for making life a little harder. All of us little people just thought you were picking on us when all the while you were actually helping us develop. I'm sure it was all part of your over all plan.  Y'all toughened us little guys up and helped us to become a little more scrappy, a little more able to take on the bigger challenges. Because of you, the little guy can win. I am stronger because of my big brother, Kirk.

No comments:

Post a Comment