Not an Accident

More than likely all of us are familiar with the New York Times Best Sellers list. I occasionally like to take a look at the list and see if there are books on it that would interest me. But I recently saw a list of book titles that did not make that list. Here are a few of them:

You Are Different and That’s Bad
Grandpa Gets a Casket
The Boy Who Died From Eating All His Vegetables
Curious George and the High Voltage Fence
You Were an Accident

Now, obviously that was a joke list of book titles, but that last one may not be too far off for how we may feel. It could be that you feel you were an accident because you’ve been taught that through out your life in school- random accidents of cause and effect started a chain reaction of evolution that eventually stumbled you into existence (from a dirt clod to your bod). You may have flat our been told by your folks that you weren’t part of their plan. Perhaps a birth mom hooked up with a guy and you were the result, so you were put up for grabs. And the result is that you feel like you are an accident.

But nothing could be further from the truth. Before Jeremiah was a prophet, he struggled with feelings of inadequacies. He felt like an accident and that he wasn’t the kind of person the God would use. In the first few verses of the book, God reassures Jeremiah by saying,

Before I formed you in the womb I knew you… Jeremiah 1:5

There was never a moment in eternity when God didn’t have Jeremiah in mind… even long before the boy was ever born. The same is true for you. God knew the day you would be conceived. And, in His book, you were no accident.

For You formed my inward parts:
You wove me in my mother’s womb.

I will give thanks to You,
for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well.

My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth;

Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
And in Your book were all written
The days that were ordained for me,
When as yet there was not one of them.

Psalm 139:13-16

Before “right from the start”, God knew all about you. You were and are part of His plan.

More than just knowing about you, He also has a great purpose for you.

The Lord will work out his plans for my life… Psalm 128:8

God does not do anything without a plan or a purpose. He is the ultimate Type A personality there is (and every other “type” of personality). When he formed you he was thinking, Wow! She is incredible… and I have amazing things to do through him… and This is going to be great! How do I know that? Because that’s what the Bible says! Not in those exact words, but definitely in those sentiments. He has plans to do with you.

Don’t ever give in to the lie that you are an accident. Your teachers may not have understood that, and your parents may not have known about you, but God was not surprised, nor caught off guard. You are His plan… from before the very beginning.

A Few Q's for You
Were you ever labled an accident?

Do you see yourself as an accident?

What does that first verse, Jeremiah 1:5 tell you about God and you?

Have you ever realized that God has a plan for your life?

Write your answers in a "comment". If the answers are too personal, then be anonymous.

If this has been meaningful to you, please pass the link on to a friend. Who knows what God will do to encourage him or her.

No comments:

Post a Comment