Rec-ov-ery

Facebook profile pic of me just
 before 2nd surgery
Recovery (rec-ov-ery). When you break this word up into its separate components, you find some interesting etymological items. Rec makes up the first part of the word, and everyone knows that rec mean messed up- as in I just rec my car. The next part of the word is ov, which was the original way that the word of was spelled, as seen in this ancient sentence To speek ov my dawg like that just aint right (notice the different spelling style of speak and dog). Then we come to the final part of the word ery (sounds like airy). This meant a light and breezy state of mind. Put all together we find that what recovery encapsulated the state of being in a wreck of airiness. In short, your airy approach to life is all messed up.

That has been what I have felt like these passed few days. My airy disposition had been put to the challenge. On Wednesday, the day after surgery, I was flat out grumpy all day long. I wrote a blog late in the afternoon because I knew people were concerned about my state of being. So I wrote Just the Facts- four quickly typed paragraphs. The very most basic of information. If you read it, you may have noticed how I was complaining about the ice cream lackage (which was severe!).

Prior to writing, I laid on the couch pretty much all day feeling sorry for myself and grumbling at the family. Jennifer would come and ask me a question and I would tersely answer her query of love. I knew I was grumpy, but I couldn't shake it. Grumpiness just festered all day long. Later that evening while we were watching an episode of Top Chef (we needed a distraction), I looked over at Jennifer and just felt bad for her. She was doing her best all day long to care for ol' grumpy bottoms and I was being a fart. I had to apologize. And that bugged me. I think it was the drugs from the day before. I had come down and landed a bit hard. My emotions were on edge.

And then there is the pain. After my first surgery the ureter, the tube that connects and drains the kidney to the bladder, had been blocked from swelling after the cancer had been removed. This time around my doctor put a stent in the ureter- it is a small rubber tube designed to keep the ureter open and draining properly. That thing just flat out hurts. The pain initially was quite intense. Every time I went to the restroom my whole body would be seized in waves of pain that would take about an hour or so to let up- just in time to have to go the restroom once again. It was not a fun cycle. Fortunately, the symptoms are getting better. Thursday wasn't as bad as Wednesday, and Friday wasn't as bad as Thursday, and today (Saturday) isn't as bad as yesterday. But, like yesterday and the day before, it is starting to ramp up again.

So I've been a bit of a recluse during this recovery time. The bare minimum in Facebook. No real writing. Tuned off phone off. Ignore email. Lots of nap time. It helps.

But something special happened yesterday. To be honest, special things have been happening all along. Friends have been delivering nightly meals. Gift cards have been dropped off. People have gone out to their way to get ice cream delivered to our door. All of which are huge blessings. The thing that happened last night was the secret delivery of a get well basket.

A friend of mine, Bekah, is a school teacher for a 5th grade class. Somehow the students had seen a my profile pic of me on Facebook, which then needed explaining. So Bekah told them my story after which, I was adopted for the day. The class made and wrote notes and put gifts together and made a get well basket for me. Our family sat around for about thirty minutes ready and laughing. Check out some of these cards.

Jordanna's card:
Knock. Knock.
Who's there?
Boo.
Boo who?
I'm soo sorry I made you cry.

I mustache you a question, but I'll shave it for later.

Dear Paul and Jennifer, My name is Jordanna ----, and I hope you will get better. "And my the odds be ever with you!"

Cammy's Card:
Dear Paul, God bless you. I hope your surgery goes well. I hope God will wish that you will make it. Jennifer, I hope you will wish that he will be safe.

Uadym's card:
Why did the toilet paper roll down the hill? To get to the bottom.
You are awesome.

Mariiztell's card:
Dear Paul and Jennifer, We are sorry that you are sick! W hope you get better! You know, storms don't stay forever!

Kylie's card:
Get well soon or the evil unicorn will get you!! It is during the darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.

Unsigned card:
May the odds be ever in your bladder! You rock even though I don't know you!


All of them are just as precious. It was such a burst of fresh air into all the recovery. It helped bring back that airiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment