Green and Cinnamon Bowl



There are times when something just grabs my heart and makes it want to sing. I had that experience the other day when I went out for ice cream with my family. We stood in line for nearly thirty minutes to get our scoop of creamy love. The flavor I chose that day was perhaps one of the most incredible flavors I have ever had. It was Arbequina Olive Oil. Does that sound odd to you? It did to me... until it made its debut on my tongue. It sang such delicious notes of smooth spicy goodness that I was struck to the core with a of food joy that strummed chords of happiness within my heart. I was hooked. And so was Oprah. She deemed it one of her "favorite things".

How does that apply to pottery? Let me explain. If you are a potter, then you know the anticipation of opening the kiln after the many hours of firing. Some describe that moment of opening the kiln as being like Christmas morning for a child. Steve Irvine, who has been doing pottery since 1968, said "Even after all these years of firing kilns I still can't wait for each new kiln load to cool down so that I can see how things turned out!"

The same is true for me also. I long for the moment when all is cool enough to open the kiln. Most of the time it is still too hot to handle, so I get the gloves on and pull the pieces out one at a time and set them on my work table. Each piece is a gift. And some of those gifts just make you stop in your tracks and just behold the beauty. This is how I felt when I first saw this piece. My heart stopped for a moment as I stared in wonder. Joy swept through my little soul and I was in love.

The clay for the body is called cinnamon trail mix. It has a rich cinnamonny red. The red dots on the side were made by putting what is called wax resist on the clay before the glazing process. The result is that when the watery glaze is applied to the pottery, it is repelled from adhering to the clay wherever the wax is. This particular glaze is called copper patina. The green contrasts so nicely with the red of the clay that it just sings.

Now, could you imagine the incredible joy that one could have if Arbequina Olive Oil ice cream were to be served in this bowl! One may need medical help.

This piece is now in a private collection. Thanks for reading.

If you like this bowl, you may be interested in this cake stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment